Saturday, February 09, 2008

Concussion of the heart

Hearts really should come equipped with crash helmets. Then they wouldn’t get concussed so easily. See, that is what I have right now –concussion of the heart.
It’s kind of a shocking sensation and you wonder how you will cope with the bruises, and the swelling and the way the room seems too far away to focus on.

But, I’ve checked the warrantee and you can’t get a crash helmet, ever. In fact, you have to keep using your heart, even when it’s out of order. It’s the love law, or some crap like that.

In fact – you have to still keep loving, hoping and dreaming – even in the middle of concussion.

Like who decided that?!

I have been told I cannot do respite care on the basis of a doctors opinion I’ve never met. I protested. Now, I have to go to my GP, who apparently knows me very well, and be asked a huge amount of questions, and even have the size of my hips measured and recorded! I’m a woman – I have hips – but they don’t need labelled. Maybe I’ll get anaesthetic.

My heart must be like – ok, is there a reason you have to keep chucking me out of large buildings to see if I bounce? Life is an odd fish – all I know is I really believe I was meant to ask about respite – and maybe it’s to open up another opportunity.

After years of saying – but I am disabled, I really am – it’s an odd thing to be confronted medically with – yes, you are, and we need to see if you actually can do this. I am torn between defending what I can’t do – and defending – actually I’m really, really good at this.

Yes, I am ill, but yes, I am able. This week, I dealt with the police and social work again - and found that I have adapted over time to being able to do it without palpitations and sleeplessness. Playwork is a difficult job at times – because sometimes you have to involve a high level of adult intervention and yet make it look all normal. Luckily, I got a good game of Blood Soup with the littler pixies this week to fortify my creative inner, ‘please can we just play games instead of do real life’ child.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home