Thursday, November 27, 2008

Allergy and the DDA

This post also posted on Ouch website - if you know anyone else in same position, I would so appreciate them getting in contact. I have a splitting head, and the shakes again, and I've already had to take time off recently as a result of so many reactions.


Feeling pretty low right now. I have already met with the union and the managers where I work, as I work in an office, and I am allergic to perfume/aftershave, pine, cinnamon and citrus oils. You would not believe the hidden dangers in an office. The cleaning lady who sprayed all the desks - I collapse, and get sent home in a taxi. Then, the perfume sprayed in the toilets - I get sent home, and boyfriend finds me outside the front door nearly collapsing and vomiting, and I go home in a taxi. Then the cleaner who didn't know my manager had told all the cleaners not to clean till I'd left, sprayed the desks again. Mild nausea and tiredness. Phew.

I have had so many meetings and everyone got told - don't spray stuff in the office. So, when a guy whips out a can of lemon cleaner and cleans his computer screen today, I ask my colleague to ask him to stop. So the guy sprays more, and in desperation I go over and say, please don't, I'm allergic to that (not a good move, but I was feeling desperate).
So, I get wheeled out this time by a first aider, so I don't collapse, and they call my fiance and he takes me home -in a taxi the work have paid for (a small triumph), but emergency contact or not - fetching him could be a bit awkward, what with it taking three months and still we have not even got the basics of - if you spray in this office, then fairysparkle will have to go home, and may end up going in an ambulance, not a taxi.
It's mentally draining - is anyone else out there had to tackle anything like this. It is very very hard going in everyday - I've never been so allergic in my life, and it takes hours to recover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home