Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Happy Disability Story

I love swimming. Water is the only area in which I am on a relative level pegging. I don't know why - but the collapsing is controllabe in the water. Even so, I always, always have a float with me, because that is way safer. It also means I use my muscles but don't overuse them. I can even have a bounce in the water - something I cannot cannot do normally. My best ceilidh for me would happen in a big pool.

So, J and I are doing the swimming pool testing now. There is a nearbyish pool that is small and warmish - but has changing facilities up the stairs - not good. We got sent to other chaging rooms, but they were ground floor ones for the gym, so it was a bit, urm er, don't mind me.

There is a bigger pool a bit further away - so we went there - good ground floor changing facilities. Get in pool. Had forgotten float, so wore armbands instead. Start to swim. A lady calls me over - you can't swim the whole length of the pool. Why? Because you have arm bands on.
So, I explain, I'm disabled , it's the only exercise I can do. We chat -the pool is not much deeper in the area I can't go into, but I am allowed to swim half the pool. They have a lady with epilepsy in the same position - she wears arm bands (then let her be my friend! We can be arm band buddies!).

The lady attendant thinks the rule is crap. Would I like to see the manager? Yes please. I smile lots and lots at the manager, and I explain I know how hard health and safety is, I just wanted to pass on my thoughts. He says, well maybe we could assess you later and consider you on your condition as being ok.

So, I am very good, and me and J swim half lengths. The lady calls me over. Look she says - you can use this long float (it goes under the arms, if you drop that, your goosed. Arm bands are safer), or this training float you strap round your waist. I say, yes please, yes please, and strap the float round my waist. She will look after my arm bands for me.

The new float is BLISS. Enough bouyancy (less than the armbands, but hey, not an arguement I can be bothered having), and enough resistance in the water to make the swim fun. It feels safe, and it means I am allowed to do lengths - which I do, and race J; an absolute luxury.

We finish and get ready to leave. The lady says - would you like to keep the float, I found it in a cupboard, and it would serve the dragons right. We thank the lady lots and lots, and scarper. A strap on float is safer than holding a float, and I am like hee, hee, hee - that felt naughty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home