Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Grievance - part two

So, the reply went a bit like this - on the adjustments needed for work, a list was sent and I was aksed - is this what you would recommend we do? BUT, in order for us to proceed, we need a report from your GP (the one who said - give up your job, I wouldn't accommodate you), as we don't have a list of what is required. Therefore this is a 'medical basis' for you being off, and can you send sick notes. So, I spent all morning on the phone and the result of that is I sent back a reply that says this

Dear HR

The last sick note that I sent I believe ran out on Fri 10th of April. It is therefore my opinion that this issue in particular has a more urgent nature, and as such I have made further enquiries as to the legitimacy ofbeing asked to provide medical certificates in these circumstances. I would like to ask if you could also confirm that the time that the time during which sick notes have been used are not part of sick leave, as was my understanding in the grievance meeting.

I have discussed the situation with ACAS and the Equality and Human Rights helpline who are at a loss as to why I would need to supply sick notes,particularly as it is asking a doctor to verify I am unfit when I am not,and would they be willing for this evidence to be used, eg. in a tribunal situation. On their advice, I also contacted Magic Union Rep Man who suggested I make an appeal. I am asking that this email be counted as appealing against thedecision made regarding point 1, in the grievance procedure. Please couldyou advise of the procedure now, and pass this email to any relevant bodies?

I would suggest that to ask a dr to ask to say I am unfit to work when I am not, is potentially fraudulent, and that the grounds for medical suspension are already established by the fact I have a definable disability. If I were blind, and I had to wait for a doctors report to verify I needed equipment at work, would I need to supply sick notes to verify my continuing blindness? Thank you for your assistance.

Signed, Me.

Many thanks to the union man who called me even though he's on holiday, and to the bank who paid me compensation for messing up my address and making impossible to pay council tax and making me wonder how on earth I am going to get a week when I am not fighting an authority on the phone over some kinda weird thing.

I also bake, make soup, write my book and make cards - coz I'm that kinda political activist - the one who'd rather be writing recipes than grievance appeals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home